Updated: Jan 15, 2021
Pb+chocolate needs no introduction.
Growing up we always called these Scotcheroos - anyone else? Traditionally, they’re made with karo syrup, butter, sugar, etc, with butterscotch chips and chocolate chips as the topping. Soooo much sugar!!!
This recipe is great because it can be modified with whatever you have. I love a good Trader Joe’s haul, so most of my ingredients are TJ brand. Use what you have/what you like!
Peanut Butter, 1 cup - go for natural (no sugar!)
- sub almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflowerseed butter for nut allergies!
Sweetener, 1/2 cup - maple syrup and honey both work perfect. You can do a combo!
Coconut Oil, 1/4 cup + 1TBS
Crisp Rice cereal, ~4 cups
Hemp hearts - measure with your heart! (I usually use ~¼ cup)
Chocolate Chips, 1 cup (I like dark!)
1. Melt peanut butter, maple syrup (whatever sweetener you choose), and 1/4 cup coconut oil in a medium-large pot over low heat until combined.
2. Remove from heat and add cereal (+hemp hearts if using) and stir until coated. Press into pan (any size, depends how thick/thin you want them).
3. Add chocolate chips + 1 TBS coconut oil to pot (should still be warm enough to melt!!) and stir until melted and combined.
4. Spread chocolate mixture over bars.
5. Fridge them for 30 min to set chocolate and then they're ready!
Serve immediately! Or, cut into individual pieces and store them in freezer. This way they last a few weeks (ok ok days). After pulling from freezer eat cold OR let come to room temperature. You can't go wrong here - promise!!